“You’ve come a long way baby!” In 1917, a devastating fire in downtown Herndon provided the impetus to create the fire department. The first fire chief was appointed in 1920 and the Town Council and the citizens association donated the first fire truck, a Model T, to the fire department. The station was officially recognized in 1929, after a dozen years of fundraising. As the center of service to the community, the Women’s Auxiliary presented the fire department with its first ambulance in 1940.
The old station was repeatedly recognized for its historic years of service. The fire truck size has grown in size since the Model T, requiring considerably more space to house the large trucks. There is also a need for housing both male and female personnel. The station was incorporated into Fairfax County Fire Department in 1976. Fairfax County staff worked closely with the Town of Herndon in planning for Herndon Station #4 to remain at 680 Spring Street where it has resided since 1950. The station is a part of Herndon’s history. It gives one a feeling of service to the community. The old fire pole was salvaged and is displayed in the new station. The newer fire poles are now back in use.
It was wonderful to see so many people come out on a rainy dreary day to celebrate in the re-opening of the new Fire Station 4. The many individuals associated with the fire department were extremely pleased to see the completion of the fire house.
WELCOME HOME to all members of Fire Station 4.